Thursday, October 3, 2013

Boots with the furrrr

Welp, it seems Thursday is becoming blog day.  It's been a week since we've last chatted.  I'd say a lot has happened, but honestly I just don't know what classifies as a lot anymore.  Last week rounded out in a pretty fun chain of events,  Friday night we had our youth group meeting as we do every Friday evening.  This day in particular, I had received a great game idea from Devin.  I was all ready to get it started, and pretty excited because she's so creative. When out of nowhere what do I hear? A child crying? A tire squeal? The ice cream truck? None of the above. Out of nowhere I hear, "shawty had them apple bottom jeans, and boots with the fuuurrrr." To say I was slightly taken aback would be a fair assumption.  Accompanied with the t pain song I looked over to see a circle forming with all the guys who had showed up that night.  That's right ladies and gentleman, we had ourselves a dance off. Some of you may have seen the footage on facebook, others of you definitely should. It was quite the experience which I also found amusing because this dance off was a male only affair. Anywhoo that occupied a good bit of time, then we had a snack and it was time to rollbounce.  Saturday consisted of some hang out time with some kiddos from the church. My Saturdays alternate from mission to helping out with first communion class and catechism.  I do really enjoy these kids as well, they are all super excited to know me which feels great.  At the same time I'm not too sure what my role is.  I think I am the time filler which is ok, because I don't know how to teach about communion in English.  We had class for a bit, and then it was time to break out my skills and fill some time. To keep the activity somewhat religion class related I decided we should play a rousing game of horse, bible style.  Instead of horse we used words like Jesús, pan, vino, cuerpo, y dios. (Jesus, bread, wine, body, and God). The kids really enjoyed themselves, however the activity was losing muster.  It seemed like I had more time to fill, since the 15 minute time limit had come and gone.  The kids love their soccer, so we decided to play some three on three.  I was the referee. This seemed like a good plan, however both girls took roles as goalies which I cautioned against but was overruled.  This would come back to bite me, and one of them.  As the game progressed I could see why they all wanted one boy, Faco, on their team.  He was very good, I'll give him that.  Anywhoo the other team was going to tie it up with little time remaining when boom! Left foot connects perfectly with ball. Ball soars towards goal. Girls eyes turn into saucers. Ball collides with girls face.  THUD! And here we have the biting in my butt.  My first child crying of the trip and I didn't know what to do. Though even if I had it would not of helped because she ran off seeking comfort from Cristina.  Tweet! My imaginary whistle sounded and the game was over.  I told the boy to apologize, and accidents happen.  Other boys agreed but they said he shouldn't have kicked it so hard cause she was a girl.  I'm not touching that one and starting a battle of the sexes.  We found her being tended to by Cristina, pastor Ricardo asking me what happened.  My first real uh oh so far.  He vaguely understood that accidents happen and I could do nothing short of jumping in front of the ball.  We sat down for marienda and she joined us tears no longer flowing.  I came up, offered her a glass of soda and did my best to cheer her up.  (I said this in Spanish, but here's the jist) "you know, on the bright side if your face didn't stop that ball your team wouldn't have won... Your the MVP, in my opinion."  The other children agreed and she smiled. Phew! Crisis averted.  We cleaned up, and the kids went home and I was off to my kiosko to unwind.  This is the highlight of my week, because I knew the second half of the UGA vs LSU game is just starting, and it's close.  I almost race there sit down and find at I can only see the game on game cast. It will have to do, until dum du du dum!!! Super girlfriend! Devin lets me Skype her and watch the game as she's streaming it on her laptop. I haven't been so happy in a while, sorry kids, but you'll get it when river plays boca this weekend.  I got to see the final quarter and man was it a great game! Even better because the good guys won, GO DAWGS! Anywhoo that wrapped up, and I finished a beer and it was off to bed.  Sunday came, as did church and we had another packed house.  I guess words gotten around that I'm in town.  No big deal.  Joking aside, it was great to see the pews all filled up.  It was another good service and I made it through the apostles creed and Lord's Prayer with my least amount if stumbles yet.  After church we gathered again to celebrate two birthdays, it was fun and emotional.  One of them belonged to the former president who gave a heartfelt speech on how she felt so loved by the congregation and many thanks.  It was great to see and hear, the other gentleman was very appreciative as well.  He and his family are from china and have an adorable little girl.  We sang to them in Spanish, Portuguese, German, and I had an American solo with some humming background.  I was cautiously warned not to eat too much for there was another celebration to attend with Rosi and Carlos after this one.  Oscar's life partner also had a birthday and we were grilling out in the neighborhood common place for her.  This was a fun filled experience meeting even more new people. Joking and ripping on each other, it was like I was at home.  They even said if I ever got tired of hearing Portuguese I could find another adoptive family in the neighborhood.  Don't worry Carlos and Rosi, I love y'all Too much.  I am proud to report I ate all parts presented to me of the cow including both intestines, kidneys, and liver.  I prefer the normal cuts, but these weren't bad at all.  Afterwards it was time to siesta,but before that I face timed Devin.  I showed her the house and then Rosi came home and they chatted which was adorable, also I was on my A game translating.  Thanks to confidence from the party. It was really great to introduce everyone to everyone.  I then napped and woke up in time to go to the store with Rosi and Lara.  The night was chill and I watched some Portuguese news show and went to bed early. Monday came and as did another omelet, gosh they are great people.  Then I did some piano review and learning.  Playing with both hands is getting the best of me, but it is just my second lesson.  I can atleast read the music for the most part.  After my lesson began the revolving door of neighborhood girls and their lessons.  I met one, Sofia, whom I'd met at the party and said I would help her with English homework.  She took me right up by showing up early with her notebooks, she is absolutely adorable.  We chatted a bit and we got to work. It felt good getting my messages correctly across and her smiling when I could describe the answer leaving the response to her.  I could see her sense of accomplishment, maybe she could see mine too.  After that I watched some Netflix and then taught Rosi some English before it was time to go home.  They've offered me another mattress and a mini fridge which is super exciting. I just need to find space this week, which I have by now. The rest of Monday was relaxing a bit of journaling and some reading.  Tuesday I cooked me some noodles with the help of wiki and Devin.  I'm not very domestic.  Besides being a little salty they were delicious.  I then had my home visit with Alejandro and Rita.  I met the whole family and there was a bit of them to meet. They have 5 other siblings and their mother and two nephews all living modestly by the mission.  But this family was not lacking in love whatsoever.  I felt instantly welcomed and loved.  I taught them some paper toss we shared some mate and I was off again.  Tuesday was great and those were the highlights for sure. Also any day I can sleep in is a great one always in my book.  Wednesday was a gooden as well.  The morning started pretty typically.  Talked to Ricardo a little and ran some errands.  Then as we ended he dropped the bomb. By the way tonight it will be just you at study time as Gloria nor Norma can make it.  Letiana will come to help with marienda, I was informed all of this two hours or so before it was time to go.  I spent the next two hours making some English and math excercises and hoping for the best. Also prayed for some help if Big Homie would oblige.  He did, but in his Big Homie way of presenting me opportunities a plenty upon my arrival to be patient.  It was a trying day. When they realized it was just me, it was like all at once they decided to try and pull one over on me.  Suddenly nobody had homework and everyone could just play. Oh how convenient this was.  However, I was prepared with my exercises.  This kept them occupied a while but I could see them getting restless, even after having to use my firm tone a few times.  It was time for a break. This was solved by some tag and some tug of war. Oldies but goodies. Then more hw time and some marienda, and low and behold I had survived.  What a sigh of relief I had when I got on the bus to leave.  Also a silent hope that no older people or pregnant women needed to travel at this hour.  Of course they did on both busses I stood the whole way. Win some win some. I checked in with some folks and went to bed.  That brings us to Thursday.  Today I was presented with a few new opportunities.  Starting in November I'm actually going to teach two classes. One in the mission and one at the school to help the English teachers. Tips and tricks are welcomed in my inbox.  I am super excited about this chance.  I'm also glad I brought my TESL book from college with me, time to dust it off and get to work.  Speaking of, I best be off.  Until next time. Stay classy bloggerverse.  Also go river and go dawgs! And step ur game up falcons! Hasta

No comments:

Post a Comment